On Tuesday, May 24, nineteen students and two teachers were killed in a shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas. This tragic event comes only a little more than a week after a gunman killed ten people at a supermarket in Buffalo, NY.
The heaviness of both tragedies is all too familiar for Americans; active shooter incidents in 2021 surged by more than 50 percent from 2020 and nearly 97 percent from 2017, according to statistics released by the FBI. These acts of extreme violence are difficult to process for many reasons – and the toll that they can take on the mental and emotional health of adults and youth can be severe.
To connect individuals with care and support in the wake of such tragedies, we have compiled the guide below, which contains helpful resources and tips:
For immediate help and support, contact the Western Washington VOA Crisis Line at 1-800-584-3578 and they can direct you to the appropriate crisis or therapy resources. You can also access virtual emotional support during times of crisis via the ImHurting Crisis Chat.
Tending to your mental and emotional health:
- American Counseling Association: Coping in the aftermath of a shooting
- Mass shootings: How to calm anxiety and fear in yourself and your loved ones
- American Psychological Association: Managing your distress in the aftermath of a shooting
Engaging with youth and teens in the aftermath of a shooting incident:
- How to talk to children about shootings: An age-by-age guide
- National Education Association: Talking to students about the Texas Elementary School shooting
- American Psychological Association: Helping your children manage distress in the aftermath of a shooting
In Northwest Washington, Compass Health provides comprehensive behavioral health services, including outpatient counseling and crisis response. Learn more at CompassHealth.org.
Get In Touch
Compass Health is here to help. Whether you have questions about our services, want to share your feedback or a success story, have a media inquiry, or are seeking more information on a training or job opportunity, contact us today for assistance and support.